LOS ANGELES — Jarret Stoll scored a power play goal at 12:13 of the third period, while Jonathan Bernier stopped all 25 shots he faced to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 1-0 win over their Pacific Division rival, the Phoenix Coyotes, on March 3 at Staples Center.
The game was mostly a yawner, dominated by tight checking until Stoll fired a one-timer from left point through heavy traffic created by newcomer Dustin Penner. Phoenix goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov never saw the shot—he was hopelessly screened.
The shutout was Bernier’s second of the season, and the third of his NHL career.
- Bernier has stopped 182 of 193 shots in his last eight games (.943 save percentage).
- Rob Scuderi blocked nine shots and played a season high 27:08.
- The Kings are now 12-2-3 in their last 17 games, outscoring their opponents 45-37, killing 48 of 54 penalties (88.9 percent).
- The Kings are 5-1-0 in their last six games at home.
- The Kings have allowed 43 goals in their last 21 games (2.05 per game).
- The Kings have allowed two goals or less in 14 of the last 21 games.
- Stoll has points in three straight (two goals and one assist for three points).
- With an assist in the game, Anze Kopitar has points in five straight (three goals and five assists for eight points).
- The Kings tied a season low with 18 shots. They also had 18 shots on February 23 in Anaheim and won.
Raw audio interviews
(Includes post-game audio from the Kings’ 7-4 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on February 28; edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Jonathan Bernier (1:25)
Anze Kopitar (1:29)
Jarret Stoll (1:54)
Terry Murray (8:03)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.