Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Embarrass Themselves Against Chicago
March 19, 2010 1 Comment
LOS ANGELES — Since mid-February, the only thing that has been consistent about the Los Angeles Kings is that they are likely to come out flat to start a game and put in a lethargic, uninspired effort.
On March 18, the Kings got off to a decent start against the Chicago Blackhawks, but after killing six minutes worth of penalties early in the first period, the ‘Hawks had an easy night, courtesy of the Kings, who gift-wrapped a 3-0 shutout win for the ‘Hawks, disappointing a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center.
Tomas Kopecky scored two goals to lead the ‘Hawks. Troy Brouwer also scored for Chicago.
Antti Niemi got the start in goal for the Blackhawks, earning his fifth shutout of the season and in his National Hockey League career.
- The Kings have now killed twenty straight penalties, dating back to the second period March 4 at Nashville.
- The Kings are 45-50 on the penalty-kill the last fifteen games (90 percent) and 29/31 the last nine games (93.5 percent).
- The Blackhawks were not called for a penalty in the game. The last time the Kings did not have a power play chance in a game was April 7, 2009 at Edmonton.
- The Kings had seventeen shots tonight (season low is sixteen on December 7 vs. Calgary).
- The last time the Kings were shutout at home was February 12, 2009 (2-0 loss to Calgary).
- Jarret Stoll had nine hits.
- Rob Scuderi had five blocked shots.
- Anze Kopitar was 9/12 in the faceoff circle.
- The loss snapped the Kings’ three-game home winning streak against Chicago (now 7-1-3 in last eleven at home against the Blackhawks).
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Dustin Brown (3:05)
Ryan Smyth (0:52)
Jonathan Quick (0:42)
Terry Murray (6:45)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.