LOS ANGELES — Dwight King, Alec Martinez and Marian Gaborik scored goals, and Jeff Carter and Robyn Regehr each contributed two assists to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 3-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche at Staples Center in Los Angeles on April 4.
The Kings dominated the game, in terms of puck possession, and they managed to limit the Avalanche to just three shots on goal in the first period, four in the second period, and only three in the third, for a total of ten shots in the game.
With the win, the Kings have a 39-25-14 record, good for 92 points. They are now on pace to reach 97 points by season’s end.
Here’s a look at the rest of the race for positions still up for grabs in the Western Conference on April 4:
- The Winnipeg Jets defeated the Vancouver Canucks, 5-4, in Winnipeg. The win gives the Jets 92 points on the season, tying them with the Kings. The Kings hold the tiebreaker between the two teams, moving the Kings ahead of the Jets into the last wild card playoff berth.
- Winnipeg is now on pace to finish the season with 97 points.
- Vancouver has 95 points, and are on pace to finish with 99 points.
- The Detroit Red Wings handed the Minnesota Wild a 3-2 shootout loss in St. Paul. The Wild are now on pace to finish with 101 points.
- The Calgary Flames shutout the Edmonton Oilers, 4-0, in Edmonton. Calgary now has 93 points, and are on pace to finish with 97 points.
The Flames hold the tiebreaker with the Kings, who, based on these projections, would have to reach the 98-point mark to finish in third place in the Pacific Division, ahead of Calgary. A 3-1-0 record in their remaining four games would be needed to achieve that.
These projections indicate that 97 points would be needed for the Kings to earn the wild card spot ahead of Winnipeg. A 2-1-1 record in their remaining four games would be needed to do that.
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information. Frozen Royalty’s Comment Policies