LOS ANGELES — Dustin Penner, Drew Doughty and Jarret Stoll, scored goals, and Jonathan Bernier made a career-high 40 saves to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 3-2 win over the Phoenix Coyotes in the second of back-to-back games at Staples Center on March 19.
The Kings won the opening round of this two-game match-up on March 18, 4-0.
After barely surviving early onslaught by the Coyotes, Penner was parked in front of the Phoenix net when he got a pass from right wing Justin Williams behind the right goal post. On his forehand, Penner re-directed the puck between the skates of Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith at 14:38, giving the Kings a 1-0 lead.
The second period was a bit more evenly played, but the only goal was scored by Doughty, who fired a slap shot from the top of the left circle that hit the stick of Coyotes center Antoine Vermette, changing the direction of the shot and beating Smith at the 6:28 mark.
Doughty’s goal was his first of the season.
Coyotes forward and captain Shane Doan took over in the third period, scoring twice, his first goal coming off a deflection in front of Bernier at 11:28.
Doan’s second goal of the game came at 19:19, on a wide open shot from the slot, with Smith on the bench for the extra attacker, but not before Stoll scored on a one-timer from the left face-off dot at 13:46, with the Kings on a four-on-three power play.
Smith stopped 26 shots in a losing effort, while Bernier was stellar in goal—he was the sole reason the Coyotes were unable to break the game wide open in the first period. He is now 7-2-0 on the season, with a 1.94 goals against average, and a .923 save percentage.
- The Kings have now won twelve of their last 16 games, outscoring opponents 58-37. They have also won 14 of their last 19 games, outscoring opponents 66-42.
- The Kings have now won eleven of their last twelve games at home.
- The Kings 12-2-1 record at home is tied for the best 15-game home start in club history (also 12-2-1 in 2010-11, 1992-93 and 1975-76).
- The Kings have outscored opponents 52-30 at home this season.
- Bernier previous career high in saves was 34.
- Bernier is 7-0-0 in eight starts this season (1.63 GAA and .935 save percentage).
- With an assist on Penner’s goal, Anze Kopitar extended his assist and point streak to five games (goal, five assists).
- Williams extended his point streak to four games (goal, five assists).
- Stoll has six points in the last six games (three goals, three assists).
- With an assist on Doughty’s goal, defenseman Jake Muzzin now has nine points in the last nine game (four goals, five assists).
- The Kings allowed a season high 42 shots in the game.
- The Kings have scored a power play goal in six of the last seven games (8-for-22 in the span – 36.4 percent).
- The Kings wore their “Crown/Black” jersey during this game. This jersey was their primary home jersey from 2002-11, and became their alternate jersey last season. It was the final time they will wear the jersey, according to the team.
Frozen Royalty Video via FrozenRoyaltyNHL on YouTube – Interviews From Phoenix Coyotes vs. Los Angeles Kings, March 19, 2013
©2013 FrozenRoyalty.net. All rights reserved.
NOTE: These interviews are not the same as the corresponding interviews on KingsVision/LAKings.com
Post-Game Interviews via KingsVision On YouTube
Game Highlights From KingsVision: Phoenix Coyotes vs. Los Angeles Kings, March 18, 2013, Staples Center, Los Angeles, California
Used with permission. All videos provided by KingsVision at LAKings.com, or NHL.com require Adobe Flash Player. As such, they are not viewable on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch).
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.
Please post your comment on this story below