Frozen Royalty Audio/Video: Kopitar, Bernier Lead LA Kings To 2-1 Win Over Detroit
February 28, 2013 Leave a comment
LOS ANGELES — Anze Kopitar scored a highlight reel goal at 15:12 of the third period while Jonathan Bernier was stopping 32 shots to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 2-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center in Los Angeles on February 27.
The Kings got off to a rather lethargic start, but Bernier was up to the task until Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey bounced a shot from the left wing boards off of Bernier’s mask. The puck then fluttered over and behind him, bouncing off his back and into the net at 9:42 of the first period.
After a scoreless second period, the Kings converted on a two-man advantage when forward Jeff Carter deflected a wrist shot by center Mike Richards at 10:26 of the third period, tying the game.
Kopitar gave the Kings their margin of victory when he lost his man in the right corner. He went straight to the front of the net where he got the puck all alone. Right in front of the crease, he moved the puck to his forehand, getting Detroit netminder Jimmy Howard to follow the puck. Kopitar quickly moved the puck to his backhand and slipped it past Howard, who had no chance on the quick, nifty move.
Howard made 27 saves in a losing effort.
- The Kings extended their season-high win streak to five games (outscoring opponents 17-6). They have now won seven of their last eight games (outscoring opponents 25-11).
- The last time the Kings won five straight was March 11-22, 2012 (six-game win streak).
- Carter extended his goal scoring streak to five games. His career long goal streak is six games (February 8 to March 3, 2010).
- Kopitar now has points and assists in four straight games (two goals, six assists for eight points).
- Richards now has assists in four straight games (four assists).
- Bernier has now won a career high four straight games (1.00 goals-against average and a .958 save percentage in that span).
- In the last eight games, Kings goaltenders have allowed one goal six times, two goals once and three goals once.
- With an assist on Kopitar’s goal, Dwight King now has assists in three straight games. He also has four assists in the last five games.
- With an assist on Kopitar’s goals, Trevor Lewis has five points in the last five games (two goals and three assists for five points).
- The last time the Kings won a game when trailing after two periods was January 28, 2013 vs. Vancouver (won 3-2 in a shootout).
- Dustin Penner played in his 500th NHL game.
- Drew Doughty had seven hits.
Raw Audio Interviews
(Extraneous material and dead air have been removed; click on the arrow to listen):
Anze Kopitar (3:36)
Frozen Royalty Video via YouTube
©2013 FrozenRoyalty.net. All rights reserved.
Game Highlights From KingsVision: Detroit Red Wings vs. Los Angeles Kings, February 27, 2013, Staples Center, Los Angeles, California
A Closer Look At Anze Kopitar’s Game-Winning Goal via KingsVision On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.