A twelve-story series on just about any topic requires a considerable amount of source material to draw from, and that is exactly what Los Angeles Kings retired head athletic trainer Pete Demers provided for the series of stories on his 41-year career in professional hockey, 37 in the Kings organization, that was completed on July 29, 2011.
Indeed, I sat down with Demers in three separate sessions—two in late December 2010, and one in early January 2011. In the end, we talked for more than four-and-a-half hours (4:37:52, to be exact), with Demers sharing story after story, along with unique insights about hockey, and about the work of the athletic trainer that so few know about.
It was fascinating, funny, and highly entertaining.
Former Kings players and coaches also shared their thoughts about Demers, along with some stories involving him. Some are quite amusing.
In case you missed any (or all) of the stories in this series, you can find them all here:
- Retired Athletic Trainer Pete Demers Goes From Stick Boy To 34 Years With Los Angeles Kings
- LA Kings Retired Trainer Pete Demers Had To Be A Jack Of All Trades
- LA Kings Trainer Emeritus Pete Demers On The Evolution of Treatment, Strength And Conditioning
- Retired LA Kings Trainer Pete Demers Dealt With A Cast Of Characters Right From The Start
- LA Kings Retired Trainer Pete Demers Dealt With Much More Than Injuries To Players
- Wayne Gretzky’s Arrival Changes Everything For LA Kings And Retired Trainer Pete Demers
- LA Kings Retired Trainer Pete Demers Was Honored To Serve On International Stage
- Los Angeles Kings Retired Head Athletic Trainer Pete Demers Is A King For Life
- From Blimp Rides To Breaking Televisions To Waxed Doughnuts, LA Kings Trainer Emeritus Pete Demers Has Seen It All
- Retired LA Kings Trainer Pete Demers Recalls Record-Breaking, Injury-Filled Seasons, 2001-02 to 2005-06
- LA Kings Retired Athletic Trainer Pete Demers Looks Back At Controversy Surrounding His 2006 Departure
- Honored In Obscurity: Los Angeles Kings Retired Athletic Trainer Pete Demers
With all the stories in the series having been published, you can listen to the audio from these interviews below. Please note that these are all raw audio recordings of interviews intended for use in written stories, not professional recordings intended for broadcast.
Raw audio interviews
(edited only to remove comments made off the record, along with those that are not appropriate for publication. Extraneous material and dead air have also been removed)
Pete Demers – Part 1 (58:23)
Pete Demers – Part 2 (55:21)
Pete Demers – Part 3 (48:21)
Pete Demers – Part 4 (59:34)
Pete Demers – Part 5 (56:13)
Dustin Brown (3:46)
Jim Fox (5:08)
Rogie Vachon (6:20)
Dave Taylor (5:34)
Marcel Dionne (3:52)
Daryl Evans (6:04)
Mark Hardy (5:27)
Bernie Nicholls (3:09)
Bob Pulford (3:27)
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.