LOS ANGELES — Without top scorers Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, the Los Angeles Kings must manufacture goals any way they can, and adhere to their system 100 percent if they are to have any hope of winning against any team, not just the top teams in the National Hockey League.
On March 31, the Kings got away from playing their system and helped the Vancouver Canucks make a 3-1 victory over the Kings look easy. But the Kings got back on task and played within themselves during a matinee contest against the Dallas Stars on April 2, earning a 3-1 win.
Wayne Simmonds, Matt Greene and Dustin Brown scored for the Kings, while Brad Richards scored the lone goal for the Stars.
Simmonds deflected a point shot that trickled past Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen. Stars defenseman Mark Fistric tried to sweep the puck out of the crease, but wound up knocking it into the net.
Greene’s goal came off a shot from right point that deflected into the net off of Stars forward Alex Goligoski at left crease.
With the win, the Kings’ magic number (any combination of points earned by the Kings and points lost by Dallas) to clinch a playoff berth is down to two.
- The Kings are now fourth in the Western Conference.
- 45 wins is one shy of a Kings record (won 46 games in 1990-91 and 2009-10).
- 24 home wins is two shy of the club record (won 26 home games in 1990-91).
- The Kings are 9-2-2 in the last 13 games and 21-5-5 in the last 31 games.
- The Kings were 4-1-1 against Dallas this season. Their last losing record against Dallas was in 2006-07.
- Through 78 games last season, the Kings were 44-27-7 for 95 points. That team finished 46-27-9 for 101 points.
- The Kings have now allowed two goals or less in 23 of the last 35 games.
- There were no power plays for either team in ethis game. The last time the Kings had zero power plays was February 23, 2011, at Anaheim. The last time the Kings allowed zero power plays was March 31, 1984 against Edmonton.
- The four total penalty minutes for both teams was a season low.
- The Kings and opponent have combined for zero penalty minutes once in club history (February 19, 1977 vs. Boston).
- Jonathan Quick is 4-1-1 in his last six games and 15-5-2 in his last 22 games.
- Brown has seven goals and three assists for ten points in his last nine games.
- Trevor Lewis has a goal and four assists for five points in his last four games.
- Simmonds had a goal and an assist for two points with six hits.
- Jarret Stoll won 11 of 15 face-offs.
- Greene had five hits (38 in last nine games).
Raw audio interviews from 3-1 win over Dallas Stars
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Wayne Simmonds (1:40)
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.