Wayne Simmonds scored two goals, Anze Kopitar scored a goal and added an assist, Dustin Brown contributed two assists, and Drew Doughty scored the game-winner at 4:39 of the third period to lead the Kings to a 4-2 victory over the Minnesota Wild in front of an announced sellout crowd of 18,118 fans.
Goaltender Jonathan Bernier made 25 saves in goal for the Kings, while Nicklas Backstrom stopped 26 shots in a losing effort.
With the win, the Kings have a 34-23-4 record, good for 72 points and third place in the Pacific Division, four points behind the first place San Jose Sharks. The win also moves the Kings into fifth place in the Western Conference, two points ahead of the Wild, the Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators and Calgary Flames.
The Kings honored former left wing, head coach and pro scout Bob Berry during a pre-game ceremony.
- The Kings are now 10-1-3 in their last 14 games, outscoring their opposition 36-27, killing 40 of 43 penalties (93 percent).
- The Kings have allowed two goals or less in 13 of the last 18 games.
- The Kings have allowed 33 goals in the last 18 games (1.83 per game).
- The Kings have killed 39 of 41 penalties in the last 13 games (95.1 percent).
- The Kings are now 26-8-1 when scoring first, 29-6-1 when scoring three or more goals, and 27-6-2 when allowing two or less goals.
- Simmonds had his second career multi-goal game, both coming this season. The other was at Phoenix on October 21, 2010).
- Doughty scored his third game-winning goal of the season. He now has five goals in his last ten games.
- With an assist on Doughty’s goal, left wing Ryan Smyth earned his 399th career assist.
- The Kings have earned 37 points in 28 home games (18-9-1). The most points after 28 home games is 38 by the 1980-81 club (17-6-4).
- Kopitar scored his seventh career shorthanded goal. The Kings are 73-30-10 when he scores (14-3-0 this season).
- Bernier has stopped 155 of 165 shots in his last six games, good for a .939 save percentage (January 15 to February 24).
Raw audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Wayne Simmonds (3:41)
Anze Kopitar (2:11)
Terry Murray (6:22)
Bob Berry (8:04)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.