LOS ANGELES — Six days after handing the San Jose Sharks a royal beat down on their own home ice, a decisive 4-0 victory on December 27, the Los Angeles Kings rang in the new year on a sour note, getting shutout at home by the Sharks, 1-0, disappointing a sellout crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center in Los Angeles on January 1.
Devin Setoguchi scored the lone goal for the Sharks at 18:54 of the second period.
The Kings outshot the Sharks in the game, 29-19, but failed get much traffic in front of San Jose goaltender Antti Niemi, who saw most shots all the way.
On the bright side for the Kings, they put in a solid defensive effort, a stark contrast to their previous two games in which they gave up a total of 13 goals, all of them gift-wrapped.
- Michal Handzus played in his 800th NHL game in the 1-0 loss.
- The Kings out-hit San Jose 40-31 in the game.
- Kyle Clifford had seven hits in the game (61 on the season).
- Dustin Brown had eight hits in the game (135 on the season).
- The Kings are now 8-3-1 on New Year’s Day (5-2-1 at home).
- The Kings are 13-4-1 at home this season, good for 27 points, tying them for the most points at home in club history after 18 home games. Five other Kings teams also had 27 points, the most recent being the 1992-93 team.
- Jack Johnson’s career high six-game point streak was snapped.
- The Kings are now 19-3-0 when allowing two goals or less in a game.
Raw post-game audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Dustin Brown (1:51)
Matt Greene (1:57)
Terry Murray (5:43)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.