LOS ANGELES — Rookie Kyle Clifford scored his first National Hockey League goal, Anze Kopitar scored his third straight game-winning goal, and Jonathan Quick made 26 saves to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames in front of an announced sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center in Los Angeles on December 9.
Olli Jokinen scored the Flames’ lone goal on the power play late in the third period.
Kings center Brad Richardson suffered an upper body injury, possibly a concussion, during the first period. He appeared to be woozy as he skated to the Kings’ bench, and did not return. He will be evaluated by team doctors on December 10.
Prior to the game, left wing Alexei Ponikarovsky was activated from injured reserve after missing twelve games due to a broken finger he suffered on November 6, 2010, in a 4-1 win over the Nashville Predators at Staples Center.
Ponikarovsky returned to his position on the Kings’ third line, with center Michal Handzus and right wing Wayne Simmonds.
- The Kings have now won three straight games.
- Clifford is one of twenty teen-agers to ever play for the Kings.
- The Kings had 32 shots in the game. The last time they had thirty or more shots in a game was November 22 at Ottawa.
- The Kings allowed their first power play goal at home this season. They are now 45/46 on the penalty-kill at Staples Center.
- The Kings are now 11-2-0 at home. Their best home start is 12-1-0 by the 1992-93 club.
- The Kings’ 16 wins in their first 26 games is tied for the fourth best start in franchise history. Their most wins after 26 games is 19 in 1980-81.
- The Kings are now 8-2-0 in one-goal games this season, 12-2-0 when scoring first, and 8-0-0 when leading after two periods.
- Quick is now 14-5-0, tied for the third best in franchise history after 19 decisions. Daniel Berthiaume was also 14-5-0 in 1990-91. The best 19-game start by a Kings goalie is 15-4-0 by Mario Lessard in 1980-81.
- Through 26 games last season, the Kings were 14-10-2 for thirty points.
Raw audio Interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Anze Kopitar (2:14)
Drew Doughty (0:58)
Rob Scuderi (1:51)
Terry Murray (6:16)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.