LOS ANGELES — Mikkel Boedker, Brett Maclean and Eric Belanger scored goals and Al Montoya made 19 saves to lead the Phoenix Coyotes to a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings in split-squad, pre-season action at Staples Center on September 23.
At Jobing.com Arena is Glendale, Arizona, Shane Doan scored at 3:54 of overtime to give the Coyotes a 2-1 win over the Kings.
Jonathan Bernier started the game in goal for the Kings, stopping all 18 shots he faced.
The Kings opened the scoring at 0:12 of the second period when left wing Alexei Ponikarovsky scored his second goal of the pre-season.
Kyle Wellwood tied the game for the Coyotes with a power play goal at 18:17 of the third period.
Jeff Zatkoff took over for Bernier to start the third period, stopping 18 shots.
Ilya Bryzgalov went all the way in goal for the Coyotes, making 24 saves.
Back in Los Angeles, Boedker opened the scoring on a wrist shot from outside the right face-off dot, beating Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick at the 6:21 mark of the first period.
Kings center prospect Brayden Schenn scored at 6:55 of the third period to tie the game, but Quick allowed a bad goal to Maclean at the 15:28 mark to seal the win for the Coyotes.
Belanger scored an empty-net goal at 19:08 to give the Coyotes their final margin of victory.
- The Kings are now 1-1-1 in the pre-season (they have had a .500 or better record preseason record twenty straight seasons).
- The Kings are expected to make their first training camp roster cuts on Friday, September 24.
- The Anaheim Ducks vs. Kings pre-season game at Staples Center on September 28 will be streamed live on LAKings.com and FoxSportsWest.com. Nick Nickson and Daryl Evans’ game call on KTLK AM 1150 will also be heard during the live stream.
- Kings television play-by-play announcer Bob Miller, the Voice of the Kings, was in attendance at Staples Center after recovering from surgery a few weeks ago. He looked well and said he felt “great.” Miller will be in the broadcast booth for the team’s season opener at Vancouver on October 9.
- The Kings, who were originally scheduled to resume on-ice training camp workouts on Friday, September 24, will instead have the day off.
Raw Audio Interviews from the game at Staples Center (edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Anze Kopitar (3:27)
Brayden Schenn (2:29)
Terry Murray (8:24)
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.