LOS ANGELES — Things were looking awfully good for the Los Angeles Kings, who took a 3-2 lead into the third period of Game 4 of their Western Conference Quarterfinal playoff game against the Vancouver Canucks on April 21 at Staples Center.
But the third period proved disastrous for the Kings, who wound up dropping a 6-4 decision and, instead of taking a commanding 3-1 lead in their best-of-seven series, they now head to Vancouver for Game 5 on April 23 with the series tied, 2-2.
Whether they were overconfident and let up to start the third period, or maybe they were playing not to lose instead of continuing to attack and take the game to the Canucks. But whatever the reason was, the Kings stopped playing their system in the third period and that opened the floodgates for the Canucks, who took full advantage.
Indeed, the Canucks scored four times in the third period on a whopping seventeen shots on goal—something few teams can allow in the playoffs and get away with it. Even worse for the Kings, their defensive coverage was poor, as was their decision-making, including those that gave the Canucks a five-on-two rush on Henrik Sedin’s game-winning goal at 17:08 of the third period.
- The Kings are now 9-for-16 on the power play in the series (56.3 percent).
- The most power play goals the Kings have ever had in a playoff series is eleven (1989 vs. Edmonton).
- When tied 2-2 in a series, the Kings have won the series seven of ten times.
- Dustin Brown has assists in all four games of the series.
- Drew Doughty has six points in the last three games (two goals, four assists).
- Jack Johnson has six assists in the three games against the Canucks.
- Johnson and Doughty are tied with Pittsburgh’s Sergei Gonchar for most playoff points by a defenseman (all have six).
Raw Audio Interviews (unedited)
Anze Kopitar (3:18)
Dustin Brown (4:40)
Terry Murray (6:30)
Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault (4:05)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.