LOS ANGELES — After three weeks of mostly poor efforts leading to a very mediocre 4-4-1 record since the Olympic break, the Los Angeles Kings displayed the fierce intensity and swagger they have lacked in a 4-3 overtime victory over the Colorado Avalanche on March 22 at Staples Center.
Ryan Smyth scored two goals to lead the Kings. Drew Doughty scored the overtime game-winner his fourteenth goal of the season, on a huge blast from the top of the right circle with the Kings on the power play.
Wayne Simmonds also scored for the Kings. Chris Stewart, Peter Mueller and T.J. Galiardi scored for the Avs.
Galiardi’s goal came on a rebound of a shot by Paul Stastny with just 6.6 seconds left in regulation to force overtime.
The Kings (42-24-5) are now in fifth place in the Western Conference with 89 points. Nashville is sixth, also with 89 points (Kings win the tiebreaker with fewer games played). The Kings lead seventh place Colorado by two points and eighth place Detroit by four points. Ninth place Calgary is eight points behind the Kings./p>
- The Kings’ magic number to clinch a playoff spot is thirteen (points earned by Kings plus points lost by Calgary).
- Doughty now has five game-winning goals (first among NHL defensemen).
- Jonathan Quick is now tied for fifth with Kelly Hrudey and Mario Lessard for all-time games played by a Kings goaltender in one season history (64).
- The Kings have now killed 29 straight penalties (team record is 46 in 2001-02).
- The Kings are 54-59 on the PK the last 17 games (91.5 percent) and 38-40 in the last 11 games (95 percent)
- Anze Kopitar contributed two assists in the game and now has 41 on the season (his career high is 45 in 2007-08).
- The Kings are now 12-5 in overtime/shootouts this season (the 29 overtime points ties the 2003-04 club for most in Kings history).
- The Kings’ 42 wins are four shy of the club record of 46, set in 1990-91.
- Justin Williams earned his first point since December 15, 2009 at Edmonton.
- Matt Greene played in his 300th career National Hockey League game.
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Ryan Smyth (4:38)
Drew Doughty (1:18)
Terry Murray (10:53)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.