LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Kings’ hold on the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference is as shaky as ever after an embarrassing 5-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks in front of a sparse, announced crowd of 16,212 fans at a very quiet Staples Center on January 20.
Patrick Marleau and Ryan Clowe scored two goals each for the Sharks, who took an easy 3-0 lead after one and period never looked back during a very easy win over the flat, uninspired Kings.
Wayne Simmonds scored the lone goal for the Kings to open the second period, but that would be one of the handful of quality scoring chances the Kings would generate the entire night.
- The Kings won the season series against San Jose 3-2-1. It was the first time they won the season series vs. the Sharks since 2001-02.
- Jarret Stoll played in his 400th NHL game.
- Simmonds has sixteen points in his last 21 games (seven goals, nine assists for sixteen points).
- Drew Doughty has ten assists in the last nine games and twelve points in the last eleven games (one goal, eleven assists).
- The Kings are 11-4-1 vs. the Pacific Division.
- Dustin Brown had nine hits in the game.
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Ryan Smyth (2:17)
Jarret Stoll (3:34)
Terry Murray (6:13)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.