LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Kings traditionally go through a “December Swoon,” as they seem to always lose a bunch of games every December.
Although the Kings entered December on a roll, they began to cool off in a big way about two weeks into the month and now they are in full swoon, albeit a couple of weeks later than usual, having lost seven of their last ten games and eight of their last twelve.
The Sharks took a 2-0 lead into the second period after Dan Boyle scored in the first period and Dany Heatley scored on the power play early in the second period.
Randy Jones cut the Sharks lead in half with a goal less than one minute after Heatley scored.
The Kings got they chance they wanted to tie the game, a 35-second two-man advantage, but their power play generated just two shots, one of which never made it to the net.
- Alexander Frolov played in his 500th game in the NHL/with the Kings. He is the seventeenth player in Kings history to play in 500 games.
- Anze Kopitar has five points in the last five games (two goals, three assists) and is now one point behind Tommy Williams for 22nd overall on the Kings all-time scoring list.
- Erik Ersberg got the start in goal, making 34 saves on 36 shots. This was Ersberg’s first start at home since March 16, 2009 vs. Nashville.
- The Kings out-hit San Jose 44-25.
- Matt Greene’s streak of 160 games was snapped (streak started January 20, 2008). Greene suffered a lower body injury during the game against the St. Louis Blues on January 9, and is expected to be out ten days to two weeks according to Kings head coach Terry Murray.
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Dustin Brown (2:22)
Erik Ersberg (3:04)
Anze Kopitar (3:47)
Terry Murray (9:32)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.