LOS ANGELES — Despite dominating the once high-flying Detroit Red Wings throughout the game, outshooting the Wings 52-24 for the game and 27-6 in the second period, the Los Angeles Kings dropped a 2-1 decision to the Wings in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center on January 7.
Detroit forward Dan Cleary scored a first-period goal just with 00.2 seconds left on the clock after the Kings coughed up the puck in their own zone and were left scrambling after the Wings, who easily took advantage.
The Kings finally solved Detroit rookie goaltender Jimmy Howard at 15:38 of the third period when Ryan Smyth scored on the power play to extend his goal scoring streak to four games.
But just 1:04 later, the Kings defense broke down in their own zone and Darren Helm got a fortunate bounce off the stick of Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick, giving the Wings their final margin of victory.
Howard, who was brilliant in stopping 23 shots, also got several truckloads worth of help from his defense, who found themselves in Howard’s crease as much as Howard was, leaving the Kings high, dry and badly frustrated from losing a game they deserved to win.
- The last time the Kings had 50 shots in one game was February 13, 1997 (4-4 vs. Toronto).
- The Kings’ 27 shots in the second period set a franchise record for most shots in one period. The previous high was 26 (two times; last time was on October 14, 1993 vs. Edmonton). The team record for most shots in one game is 59 (set December 26, 1992 vs. San Jose).
- The line of Smyth (nine shots), Dustin Brown (six shots) and Anze Kopitar (eight shots) combined for 23 shots.
- Nine of Smyth’s thirteen goals have come on the power play (139 of his 313 career goals have come on the power play).
- The Kings are 6-2-1 in their last nine home games.
- The Kings have killed nineteen of their last 21 penalties (90.5 Percent).
- The Kings are 38 for 43 on the penalty-kill in their last eleven games (88.4 percent).
- 14 of the Kings’ last 18 games have been decided by one goal (9-5-0).
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Anze Kopitar (1:50)
Drew Doughty (0:43)
Dustin Brown (1:00)
Terry Murray (6:45)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.