Frozen Royalty Audio/Video: LA Kings Slip Past Blue Jackets, 2-1
February 16, 2013 Leave a comment
LOS ANGELES — Kyle Clifford and Mike Richards scored goals, and Jonathan Bernier stopped twelve shots to lead the Los Angeles Kings to a 2-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center on February 15.
After a scoreless first period, there was no scoring in the second period until Clifford finished off a two-on-break scoring an unassisted goal at the 18:40 mark.
Richards gave the Kings a 2-0 lead at 1:34 of the third period, when his pass across the low slot deflected into the Blue Jackets net off the skate of Columbus defenseman Nikita Nikitin.
Nick Foligno cut the Kings’ lead in half at the 17:35 mark to close out the scoring.
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped twenty shots for the Blue Jackets in a losing effort.
- Clifford now has seven points this season, tied for second on the club.
- Richards now has seven points (two goals and five assists) in the last eight games. His goal was his 400th career NHL point.
- The Kings are now 26-4-9 when Richards a point (since last season).
- With an assist on Richards’ goal, Anze Kopitar now has eight points in the last nine games (four goals, four assists).
- The last time Bernier started back-to-back games was January 15 and January 17, 2011. He also earned his second career assist in the game on Richards’ goal (his first assist was on April 1, 2010, against Vancouver).
- Bernier has stopped 33 of 35 shots the last two games.
- The Kings have now outshot opponents 241-162 in their last eight games (30-20 average per game).
- The Kings are now 90-1-10 in their last 101 games when leading after two periods, dating back to April 4, 2009.
Raw Audio Interviews
(Extraneous material and dead air have been removed; click on the arrow to listen):
Kyle Clifford (0:49)
Jonathan Bernier (2:47)
Darryl Sutter (4:57)
Game Highlights, From KingsVision: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Los Angeles Kings, February 15, 2013, Staples Center, Los Angeles, California
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.