Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Need Shootout To Get Past Ducks
November 17, 2011
LOS ANGELES — Despite dominating play in the first and second periods, the Los Angeles Kings could only get one shot past Anaheim Ducks goaltender Jonas Hiller in regulation play, on their way to a 2-1 shootout win over Anaheim in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center on November 16.
After outshooting the Ducks in the first period, 17-5, the Kings got on the scoreboard when center Mike Richards scored at 7:38 of the second period, while the Kings had a two-man advantage.
The Kings outshot the Ducks in the second period, 12-7.
Ducks right wing Teemu Selanne scored on the power play at 16:35 of the third period to tie the game.
Justin Williams was credited with the shootout game-winner. The Kings outshot the Ducks 37-24 in the game.
Hiller was outstanding. He stood on his head to keep the Ducks in a game in which they could have easily been blown out.
Jonathan Quick got the win, stopping 23 shots.
- Richards has three goals in the last four games.
- Jack Johnson has four points in the last five games (one goal, three assists). Seven of Johnson’s nine points this season have come on the power play.
- The Kings have now scored a power play goal in five straight games and twelve of 18 games this season.
- The Kings are 64-0-3 in their last 67 games when leading after two periods.
- The Kings are 7-1-2 when scoring first this season.
- The Kings are now 4-1-1 vs. Pacific Division teams this season.
- Richards and Anze Kopitar each had seven shots in this game.
- The shootout in this game went seven rounds (the longest shootout in Kings history went ten rounds: February 11, 2010 vs. Edmonton).
- Quick is now 23-9 lifetime in shootouts (stopping 88 of 122 shots = .721 save percentage).
- Jarret Stoll is now 14-for-24 lifetime in shootouts, while Williams is now five-for-14 lifetime in shootouts.
Raw Audio Interviews
(Extraneous material and dead air have been removed)
Mike Richards (1:28)
Justin Williams (4:05)
Terry Murray (2:17)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.