Frozen Royalty Audio: Jonathan Quick Sets Two Team Records, Leads LA Kings To 1-0 Win Over Dallas Stars
October 23, 2011
LOS ANGELES — Jack Johnson fired a one-time knuckleball shot, beating screened Dallas Stars goaltender Andrew Raycroft at 15:02 of the third period to give the Los Angeles Kings a 1-0 victory in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center on October 22.
The goal was Johnson’s third of the season, and his third game-winning goal of the year. But the big story was Kings netminder Jonathan Quick, who his third shutout of the season, and the 17th of his National Hockey League career. It was also his third shutout in as many games, setting a new Kings franchise record.
Quick, who is 20-4-3 in October during his NHL career, also set another new Kings team record for a consecutive scoreless streak, which is now at 188:10, breaking former Kings great and should-be Hall-Of-Famer Rogie Vachon’s record of 184:55 set in 1975.
Quick is also the first NHL goalie to record three straight shutouts since Steve Mason (Columbus Blue Jackets) in December 2008.
- Quick’s numbers on the season: 5-0-1 record, an 0.81 goals-against average, a .972 save percentage (league leader), in six games played (369:56 minutes played)
- The Kings have won four straight and have points in five straight (4-0-1).
- The Kings’ 5-1-1 record matches their best seven-game record in club history (1990-91 and 1980-81 teams were also 5-1-1 and 1995-96 team was 4-0-3).
- Center Mike Richards, who assisted on Johnson’s goal, has assists in four straight games.
- The Kings are 21-8-3 in October since 2009-10.
- The Kings have the day off on October 23, and will not practice.
Raw Audio Interviews
(Extraneous material and dead air have been removed)
Jack Johnson (0:42)
Jonathan Quick (1:57)
Terry Murray (8:06)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.