Frozen Royalty Audio And NHL Video: LA Kings Get Two, But Give Up One Against San Jose
March 25, 2011 1 Comment
Although the Kings won the game, 4-3, they gift-wrapped a point in the standings for the Sharks by giving up the tying goal at the 19.55 mark of the third period, when Sharks forward Patrick Marleau scored his second goal of the game.
To magnify the fact that the Kings blew an opportunity to draw even closer to the Sharks, Kings right wing and team captain Dustin Brown scored his second goal of the game just 1:37 earlier, giving the Kings a 3-2 lead, with less than two minutes remaining in regulation.
Brown also scored the game-winner in the shootout.
Jonathan Quick got the start in goal for the Kings, stopping 25 shots, and earning his ninth shootout win this season without a loss.
Antti Niemi made 35 saves in a losing effort.
- The Kings’ 42 wins after 74 games ties a club record (also had 42 wins after 74 games in 1990-91 and 2009-10).
- 90 points after 74 games is tied for third most in club history (with the 2009-10 and 1980-81 clubs).
- The Kings had an identical record after 74 games last season (42-26-6, 90 points).
- In the shootout, Quick has stopped 34 of 41 shots, good for a.829 save percentage. He is now 21-7 all-time in shootouts, stopping 78 of 106 shots, for a .736 save percentage.
- Jarret Stoll is 8/9 in shootouts this season. He is 12-for-22 in his career.
- The Kings are now 18-4-5 in their last 27 games.
- The last time the Kings beat the Sharks twice in a season at home was 2002-03.
- The Kings are 3-2-0 (six points) vs. San Jose this season. The Sharks are 2-1-2 (six points) vs. the Kings this season.
- The Kings consecutive penalty-kill streak ended at 35 tonight. They have killed 37 of their last 38 penalties.
- The Kings recorded their 31st sellout of the season, breaking a Staples Center record. Their previous was thorty sellouts in 2003-04.
Raw audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Dustin Brown (3:06)
Terry Murray (4:45)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.