Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Douse Flames In 2-1 Shootout Win
March 22, 2011
LOS ANGELES — Despite going on a bit of a scoring tear during their most recent road trip, the Los Angeles Kings are, once again, struggling to score goals. But with just ten games left in the regular season, and with the Western Conference playoff race tighter than the proverbial drum, the Kings are likely to be in for nothing but low-scoring, tight-checking affairs the rest of the way.
Jarret Stoll gave the Kings a 1-0 lead at 14:08 of the third period, only to see Flames center Olli Jokinen undress Kings defenseman Jack Johnson and score on a breakaway just 1:05 later.
Stoll and center Anze Kopitar scored for the Kings in the shootout for the Kings, while winger Alex Tanguay scored the lone shootout goal for the Flames.
Just after the midpoint of the third period, Kings right wing Justin Williams took a clean hit from Flames defenseman Robyn Regher in the left corner of the Calgary zone. He skated to the bench, soon to disappear into the Kings’ dressing room.
After the game, head coach Terry Murray said that Williams is “not good,” and that he has an upper body injury.
It is believed that the injury is a shoulder injury.
- Jonathan Quick is now 8-0 in shootouts this season, stopping 30 of 36 shots, good for an .833 save percentage. Quick is 20-7 lifetime in shootouts. Quick is also 12-4-2 in his last 18 games.
- Stoll is 7/8 in shootouts this season, and is 11/21 in his career. He also scored his 19th goal of the season. If he scores twenty goals, the Kings will have six twenty-goal scorers this season. The last time that happened was 1992-93, when Mike Donnelly, Tony Granato, Jari Kurri, Corey Millen, Luc Robitaille and Tomas Sandstrom all scored twenty or more goals.
- The Kings have now killed 35 straight penalties. The team record is 46 in 2001-02. The Kings have also killed 78 of their last 83 penalties (94 percent).
- The Kings have now earned at least a point in 22 of their last 26 games (17-4-5).
- The Kings are now 20-8-6 in one-goal games.
- The Kings finished 3-1-0 against Calgary this season. The last time they had winning record against the Flames was 2000-01 (3-1-0).
- The Kings recorded their 30th sellout of the season, tying a Staples Center record (also had thirty sellouts in 2003-04).
Raw audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Anze Kopitar (3:22)
Jonathan Quick (1:08)
Terry Murray (4:13)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.