Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Dominate, But End Up Escaping With 4-3 Win Over Colorado
February 26, 2011 1 Comment
Follow @frozenroyaltyp>LOS ANGELES — After dominating the first fifty minutes of their matinee contest against the Colorado Avalanche at Staples Center in Los Angeles on February 26, scoring four times, the Los Angeles Kings let down in a big way and came within a hair of coughing up their four-goal lead.
Indeed, the Avalanche got two, third period goals from right wing David Jones and one from Paul Stastny with just thirty seconds remaining, turning a blowout into a 4-3 nail-biter win for the Kings.
Anze Kopitar scored this third goal in the last three games, and added an assist. Drew Doughty also contributed a goal and an assist to lead the Kings.
Alec Martinez and Jarret Stoll also added goals.
Jonathan Quick got the win in goal for the Kings, stopping 14 shots, while Brian Elliott made 38 saves for the Avalanche in the loss.
- The Kings are now 11-1-3 in their last 15 games, and have won four straight games at home.
- The Kings are now 19-0-0 when leading after two periods, and 16-8-4 in one-goal games.
- The Kings have 39 points at home (19-9-1), tying a club record for most points after 29 home games. The 1974-75 club was 16-6-7, and the 2005-06 club was 19-9-1.
- Kopitar now has twenty goals in his first five NHL seasons. The last King to do that was Luc Robitaille, who scored twenty-plus goals his first eight seasons (1986-87 through 1993-94). Kopitar also has ten points in the last eight games (four goals, six assists).
- Doughty has six goals in the last eleven games.
- Ryan Smyth recorded his 400th career NHL assist.
- Brad Richardson played in his 300th career game.
- The Kings tied a season high with two power nplay goals and nine power nplay attempts in the game.
- The Kings had a season high 42 shots.
- The Kings have beaten Colorado four straight times, and are 7-0-1 in the last eight head-to-head overall.
Raw audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Drew Doughty (2:41)
Anze Kopitar (2:12)
Matt Greene (1:02)
Terry Murray (4:57)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.