Frozen Royalty Audio: Still Road-Weary LA Kings Slip Past Oilers In 3-2 Shootout Win
December 24, 2010
Indeed, the last five times the two teams have faced each other at Staples Center in Los Angeles, the Oilers have earned shootout victories. And on December 23, the two teams once again went into a shootout, as the still-road-weary Kings struggled against the young, fast, but less talented Oilers.
Somehow, the Kings managed to eke out a 3-2 shootout win.
Justin Williams and Jack Johnson scored in regulation for the Kings, while Taylor Hall and Jean-Francois Jacques scored for the Oilers.
Jarret Stoll scored the shootout game-winner.
- Terry Murray won his 100th game as Kings head coach in his 197th game with the Kings (100-76-21), the fastest to 100 wins in franchise history, breaking Tom Webster’s record.
- Murray is tied for 18th all time among National Hockey League coaches in wins (460).
- Thursday’s game was the sixth straight time an Oilers/Kings game at Staples Center has gone to a shootout, with the Oilers winning the previous five.
- Williams’ goal gave him thirty points on the season (13 goals, 17 assists) in his 33rd game. Last season, Williams had ten goals and 19 assists for 29 points in 49 regular season games.
- With a goal and an assist in the game, Johnson has 18 assists and 21 points in the last 27 games (three goals, 18 assists). Johnson also has 13 power play assists this season.
- With an assist on Johnson’s goal, Wayne Simmonds has recorded six points (three goals, three assists) with a +5 plus/minus rating in the last six games.
- Michal Handzus earned the first assist on Williams’ goal, and now has assists in four of the last five games (four assists).
- The Kings are now 12-2-1 at home, tying a franchise record for the best home record after 15 games. The 1992-93 and 1975-76 teams were also 12-2-1 after 15 home games.
- With twenty wins after 33 games, the 2010-11 Kings are tied for third most win in franchise history with the 2009-10 and 1992-93 teams. The 1980-81 and 1988-89 Kings had 21 wins after 33 games.
Raw post-game audio interviews
(Edited to remove extraneous material and dead air)
Justin Williams (4:02)
Anze Kopitar (0:58)
Terry Murray (5:03)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.