Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Don’t Play Smart Against Phoenix
April 9, 2010
LOS ANGELES — Drew Doughty scored a highlight-reel goal and Jack Johnson scored a near-highlight-reel goal, but that wasn’t enough against the Phoenix Coyotes, who came storming back with goals late in the third period to tie the game and then Adrian Aucoin scored the shootout game-winner to lead the Coyotes to a come-from-behind 3-2 shootout win over the Los Angeles Kings in front of an announced sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center on April 8.
Although the Kings were not guilty of putting in a poor effort, a nagging problem over the last six weeks, once again, they did not play a smart game, especially in the attacking zone.
Poor puck support, bad decisions on dumping the puck into the offensive zone, forcing passes into traffic, and weak neutral zone play on breakouts all contributed to the Kings’ inability to establish a forecheck on most shifts. The result was that they failed to generate sustained pressure in the offensive zone and rarely had the puck long enough to get traffic in front of the Phoenix net, let alone getting the puck there.
Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick allowed just two goals, but looked fairly shaky throughout, giving up rebounds and he appeared to be fighting the puck.
The bright spot in the game for the Kings was Doughty’s goal, which you will be able to see below once the NHL releases the video highlights on YouTube.
- The Kings need one more point to clinch at least the seventh seed in the Western Conference.
- If the Kings win their final two games they would clinch the fifth seed.
- Anze Kopitar earned his 46th assist tonight, a career high. He also has eighty points this season. Michael Cammalleri was the last Kings player to record eighty points (2006-07).
- Quick appeared in his 71st game this season, tying a Kings single-season record (Felix Potvin appeared in 71 in 2001-02).
- Ryan Smyth has ten points in the last ten games (two goals, eight assists).
- Justin Williams has four points in the last four games (two goals, two assists).
- The Kings are 3-0-2 in their last five games.
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Dustin Brown (3:27)
Drew Doughty (2:36)
Terry Murray (12:02)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.