Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Shutout Colorado, 3-0
February 14, 2010
LOS ANGELES — On Valentine’s Day eve, the Los Angeles Kings followed up their less-than-lackluster effort two nights previous in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Edmonton Oilers by coming out of the gates strong and shutting out the Colorado Avalanche, 3-0, in front of a sell-out crowd of 18,118 fans at Staples Center.
Brad Richardson, Anze Kopitar and Oscar Moller scored for the Kings, while Richard Clune and Jack Johnson contributed two assists each.
Jonathan Quick got the start in goal, earning his second shutout of the season and his sixth in the National Hockey League.
- Quick is tied with Mathieu Garon for ninth in all-time shutouts in Kings history. He also earned his 35th win of the season, tying the Kings single-season record (Mario Lessard also had 35 in 1980-81). Tonight was also Quick’s 102nd appearance with the Kings, tying him for tenth in club history with Bob Janecyk.
- Quick is 10-1-0 in his last eleven games and 15-4-0 in his last nineteen.
- Kopitar has points in eleven of his last 12 games (nine goals, nine assists for eighteen points).
- Clune tallied his first two NHL assists/points (second career NHL game).
- Drew Doughty has 21 points in the last 23 games (three goals, eighteen assists).
- The Kings are 12-2-1 in their last fifteen games.
- The Kings are 5-0-1 in their last six games at home.
- The Kings are 28-5-3 when scoring first and 23-0-0 when leading after two periods.
- The Kings have 78 points and are fifth in the Western Conference (one point behind Phoenix for fourth).
- The Kings finished the 2008-09 season with 79 points.
This was the Kings’ final game before the NHL enters its Olympic break, and with five players heading to Vancouver for Olympic competition, the focus after the game was on Dustin Brown, Johnson and Quick (USA), along with Doughty (Canada) and Michal Handzus (Slovakia), and their thoughts about the men’s Olympic hockey tournament.
Be sure to check out Frozen Royalty periodically throughout the Olympic break for stories on the Kings’ Olympians as well as other stories, including the final installment of my interview with President/General Manager Dean Lombardi, and features on former Kings Butch Goring and Bernie Nicholls.
Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Rob Scuderi (0:46)
Dustin Brown (4:36)
Drew Doughty (1:59)
Richard Clune (2:09)
Jack Johnson (2:35)
Terry Murray (8:38)
Game Highlights From NHL Video On YouTube
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.