Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: Hat Trick Moves Kopitar Into Tie For NHL Scoring Lead
October 23, 2009 1 Comment
LOS ANGELES — Washington Capitals superstar forward Alexander Ovechkin has been leading the National Hockey League in scoring to start the 2009-10 season, which should not be a surprise to anyone who follows the NHL.
But, at least for one night, Ovechkin has some company at the top from an unexpected source.
The Kings were led by center Anze Kopitar’s three goals, his first NHL hat trick, giving the Kings a three-goal lead heading into the third period.
Kopitar has now scored eight goals and has added eight assists for sixteen points, matching Ovechkin, who has nine goals and seven assists for sixteen points through games played through October 22.
But Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick had a poor third period, allowing the Stars to tie the game on two soft goals allowed by Quick and another while he was partially screened.
Center Michal Handzus was the Kings’ savior in the overtime period, scoring 55 seconds into the extra frame.
- The last Kings hat trick was also against the Stars (Handzus on March 5, 2009).
- Last season, It took him twenty games to record sixteen points last season and 28 games to score eight goals.
- Kopitar and Ryan Smyth have each had at least one point in nine of the Kings&rsquo.
- ten games.
- Dustin Brown earned his 200th career point with his first period assist. He has 24 points (eleven goals and 13 assists) in 33 games against the Stars (most against any opponent).
- Handzus now has three game-winning goals this season and his goal was his fifth career overtime goal and third with the Kings, tying him for fifth all-time in franchise history.
- Jonathan Quick has now started fifty of the last sixty Kings games (dating back to last season).
- The Kings are now 6-1-1 in their last eight meetings with Dallas.
- The Kings have scored seventeen goals in their last three home games.
- The Kings are now 6-4-0 on the season. Through ten games last season the Kings were 3-6-1. They were 4-6-0 in 2007-08 and 3-5-2 in 2006-07.
Post-Game Audio Interviews (raw, unedited)
Anze Kopitar (1:15)
Matt Greene (1:51)
Dustin Brown (2:05)
Terry Murray (10:25)
Game highlights from NHL Video on YouTube:
Frozen Royalty by Gann Matsuda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Frozen Royalty – Licensing and Copyright Information.