TORONTO — On February 2, the National Hockey League suspended Los Angeles Kings defenseman Denis Gauthier for five games without pay, the result of a hit on Montreal Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges during their game at Montreal on January 31.

At 3:50 of the second period, Gauthier laid out Gorges with a vicious hit along the left wing glass in the Kings’ zone.

On the play, Gorges was carrying the puck down left wing when Gauthier lined him up and drilled him into the glass. But Gauthier left his feet on the hit and led with his right elbow, driving it into Gorges’ head.

Gorges got up on his feet after the hit, but was clearly dazed and woozy and had to be helped off the ice. He returned to the game later in the period, But did not play in the third period.

Gauthier received a major penalty for charging and a game misconduct, resulting in his ejection.

There was no word after the game regarding Gorges’ condition, although he missed the Canadiens’ game against Boston on Sunday and he is believed to have sustained a concussion.

Gauthier will miss games at Ottawa on February 3, at Washington on February 5, at New Jersey on February 7, at the New York Islanders on February 10 and against Calgary on February 12. He will be eligible to return on February 14 against Edmonton.

In a separate roster move, defenseman Davis Drewiske was recalled from the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League.

Drewiske, 24, has played in 46 games with the Monarchs this season, scoring a goal and adding eleven assists for twelve points with 63 penalty minutes and a +4 plus/minus rating.

The 6-2, 215-pound natie of Hudson, Wisconsin finished his senior season at the University of Wisconsin with five goals and 16 assists for 21 points and 46 penalty minutes while serving as team captain.

Drewiske was signed by the Kings as an unrestricted free agent on April 1, 2008. He will wear jersey number 44.

20 Responses to Los Angeles Kings Defenseman Denis Gauthier Suspended Five Games; Drewiske Recalled

1. Sandy & Dave Brummel says:

Congraturlations Davis We are very proud of you!

2. cristobal says:

“Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Gauthier will lose $56,451.61. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.”

i.e. the phoenix coyotes. Funny, he’s now paying his old team-mates salaries.

For the record, that’s not what the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund is used for.

4. cristobal says:

gann,
    I pretty sure I’ve read that Phoenix can’t pay its bills and is borrowing against future earnings to pay. Reportedly, that’s where some of the money is coming from – the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund. I’ll try and find the articles and post a link…

5. cristobal says:

I stand corrected. I can find no reference to what I said above. I must have confused the two issues back when Zeiler got suspended or something.

I blame my confusion on the sweltering February heat!

6. cristobal says:

Gann,
    Do you have a short scouting report on Davis? Isn’t the #44 considered bad luck? I wish he’d take 55 or something else. Someone else said this on Hammond’s site, but what does this mean for Preissing and the next 2 years of his contract?

Preissing is out due to a case of vertigo, so it doesn’t mean anything.

8. cristobal says:

Vertigo? Can you explain?

Vertigo is an illness. You can look it up. :-)

10. cristobal says:

Funny, Gann. It’s also a classic Hitchcock thriller, but it doesn’t explain how Tom Preissing has the syndrome. Were you joking or serious?

11. cristobal says:

BTW – Any serious trade rumors you know of involving the Kings?

Dead serious about Preissing and no…no trade rumors. None that are worth thinking about, anyway. The one that Bruce Garrioch pulled out of his a** about Frolov is a joke. Then again, Garrioch is a joke, so…

13. cristobal says:

Very glad to hear Frolov is secure, for now. I don’t want to ever see him traded.

I had no idea about Preissing. Would you care to elaborate if you have more info? How long has this been a problem? How does it affect him? Has he been held out for a while because of this? Does he still earn his contract if he’s not healthy?

I send my prayers (for whatever that’s worth) out to the guy. It must be really disappointing for him, as well as for the Kings.

14. cristobal says:

BTW – If its a hush-hush thing, feel free to delete our conversation about it without offending me. Not much trade value for a guy with Vertigo.

Don’t know why it would be a hush-hush thing. It’s an illness. He’ll recover. Haven’t heard any other details.

16. cristobal says:

Jimmy Stewart took quite a long time to recover in the film…

17. cristobal says:

Gann, did you think the Gauthier hit was dirty, and, did it deserve a suspension?

He deserved the suspension. For what I thought about the hit, read the story above.

I disagree with the Kings’ assessment of the hit based on the replays I saw. I could be swayed in the other direction if I see anything definitive, but that’s not likely to happen. It really doesn’t matter at this point anyway.

19. cristobal says:

Found it. I disagree with the elbow/leaving the feet parts, though I’ve only seen some fairly shoddy replays on the internet.
    Someone said that the penalty was understandable considering the outcome, but that the hit did not warrant a suspension.
    I pretty much agree with that. I don’t think Gauthier is a dirty player, or one who really tries to make an impact through “cheating” with elbows or leaping into hits. Would you agree, having talked with him?

I’ve only spoken with Gauthier briefly, earlier in the year.