Los Angeles Kings Sign Colten Teubert

EL SEGUNDO, CA — On August 28, the Los Angeles Kings signed defenseman prospect Colten Teubert to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Teubert, 18, scored seven goals and added 16 assists for 23 points in 66 games with the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League last season. In six playoff games, the 6-4, 185-pound native of White Rock, British Columbia scored a goal and tallied four assists for five points.

Teubert also represented Canada at the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championships and was a member of Team Canada at the Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial in August 2007. He also played for Team British Columbia at the 2007 Winter Games.

The rugged defenseman also participated in Canada’s National Junior Team Development camp this summer.

Teubert was selected by the Kings in the first round (13th overall) in the 2008 National Hockey League Entry Draft in June.

9 Responses to Los Angeles Kings Sign Colten Teubert

1. Robert e Lee says:

Gann,
    I know I’m being way to premature, but I rather like the idea of having both Ivanans and Teubert out there at some point. For to many years now, the Kings were getting kicked around by bigger teams-esp. our marquee players! It would be awesome if/when those same teams suddenly hate having to come to L.A. The fearsome psche it might create would be a big help for our team! Already I’m as as happy as can be with Dustin Brown and his awesome forechecking. I remember how hard he worked to get to where he is at. I just think it can happen for many of the others. Your story about Sully certainly rings of that tone. ~

The Kings need more toughness on the ice, to be sure. However, the one thing they want to be careful of…you don’t want a defenseman to have to be an enforcer. There’s only six of them in the lineup and losing a defenseman to a fighting major or worse is generally much more costly in a game than it is to lose a fourth-line forward.

3. Bob Bobson says:

I doubt Teubert is ready to play this season. But in a few years time I look forward to him providing the consistent and solid physical presence on the blueline we have been so sorely lacking over the years. From what I read about him in training camp the kid sure knows how to compete.

He knows how to compete and is a tough kid. But he’s very raw in terms of skill. Needs quite a bit of polish before he makes it to the NHL.

5. triplcrown says:

Anybody know where Teubert and some of the other prospects are working out right now?

How many are in the SoCal area?

Are some guys “bunching up” with teammate-buddies in workout efforts, wherever they are?

Gann, Is this a hard time of year to find/communicate with players?

Do you ever get phone-acess to any players/prospects?

I mean, I don’t know how practical this is, but, if it were actually doable, it’d be cool if you could make an arrangement to talk with a prospect or 2 by phone, ask them how their workout program is progressing, and how they’re feeling now with only a couple weeks to go before things get cookin’.

I’d love to hear from TEUBERT what his present weight is now, and what are maybe the biggest 1 or 2 things for him to focus the most on in his game, as he prepares for his 1st NHL test-by-fire in the pre-season & possibly beyond?

I’d love to hear Wayne Simmonds answer 4 or 5 quick questions about his aspirations/gpals for this season. etc etc etc etc

Hey, I don’t mean to lay a trip on you, Gann. You’re a guy with a good blog, but access (to players, etc) can be tricky, I’m sure.

But if it’s possible to rustle-up a couple phone interviews with prospects, it would be manna at this lean time.

I’m sure this time must be a last workout gasp & maybe quickie family vacation for some players, before the season’s grind, and continuous challenges, start.

Another thing I’ve been wondering about, is how Hickey is doing, now that his cast must have been off for a month or so by now.

Anyway, maybe yourself, someone visiting here knows a little inside info about this stuff (?).

Random thought: Could Kopitar be like Jerry Rice, and Drew Doughty like Joe Montana?

Are Doughty’s scouting reports and reviews so scary-good that King’s fans have gone numb, and don’t realize how unreal this kid could be, and perhaps even in less time than expected?

It IS scary to think Doughty may be even smarter and more creative, and even more of a wizard with the puck than the brilliant Kopitar?

But dang, it is entirely possible!

I could do that, but it’s a major pain since I work during the day. So…I’m just going to wait until the rookie camp begins. I won’t be able to attend until Monday (9/15), but I can do live interviews there.

Don’t know who might be here in Southern California already.

As for Simmonds, like any prospect, especially those who are high on a team’s depth chart, his goal is to make the big club’s roster. Trust me. That’s what they all tell you in interviews.

And why on Earth would you want the players to be like football players? :-)

7. triplcrown says:

I used the football analogy, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but to indicate that Doughty could possibly elevate Kopitar’s game and vice-versa, giving us a lethal breakout combination.

No guarantees, but it could happen.

Yeah, I was joking about the football players thing.

9. Robert e Lee says:

You made a good point about Teubert, Gann. I had read the original prospect report and it, too, said he needed a lot of time to develop himself. I guess I am thinking too much about the upcoming season and desperately hoping for some immediate fixes that likely won’t happen. I suspect, as stated on another of your posts, that we will end up going after Mathieu Schneider in return for a couple of 2nd or 3rd round draft picks thus attaining a fellow with experience, seniority and the patience to teach in return for a couple more seasons of playing time. He’s already got his Stanley Cup and I think he still likes playing, so this would be beneficial for the superficial hiring tactics being used with the older players on our team of late (according to Modry). Besides, Schneider was liked in L.A. before.

Alas, we are finally coming down to the last 40 days before the season begins…thank GOD! It feels like time has stood still-or was I watching a baseball game? HOCKEY RULES! GO KINGS!!!